6 Steps to Finding Your Professional Mission
Listen: The Importance of Mission and Purpose, with Heidi Hackemer (6:45 - 9:38)
- What are your current values and interests? Do they align with your company’s?
- Ask yourself Heidi’s questions: What do you really care about? Why are you really doing this?
- What is the purpose of the work you are doing right now? Are you satisfied with it?
- What are your goals for the future?
Insider Secrets to Make You Stand Out to Your Boss
Read: You'll Need More than Potential to Get Promoted
- How do you communicate to your boss about your accomplishments?
- Did you ever initiate a conversation about promotion?
- Are you comfortable taking risks, when you feel you might not be ready?
- How do you pump yourself up and build the confidence to put yourself out there?
- How do you open yourself up for feedback?
Strategic Career Planning
Read: Have a Destination in Mind? Put Your Foot on the Path and Start Walking
- Think of a time when you had a goal. How did you approach it? Who in your network did you reach out to for help? What skills did you use?
- What are some non-professional goals do you have? How will you integrate them into your life?
- What are some things you want to do but couldn’t at your current job?
- How often do you review your career goals? Have you ever had to pivot and change long-term goals?
Knowing Your Worth
Read: 7 Coping Strategies to Overcome Impostor Syndrome
- Have you experienced imposter syndrome before? When did you realize this?
- Do you ever find yourself downplaying your success or comparing yourself to others? Why do you think you do?
- Have you ever worked in an environment where women didn’t support each other? Do you think we should? If so, why is it important that we do?
- Instead of comparing yourself to others, learn from them but their journey is not yours. How can you be a better version of yourself?